While perusing the manual for the new microwave* in the kitchen upstairs, I spotted a nifty way of making sure whether utensils are microwave-friendly (i.e. won’t blow up or give off sparks if you put them inside). All you do is to put the utensil in the microwave next to a bowl of water and turn it on for a minute.

If the utensil is microwave-friendly, the bowl of water will heat up and the utensil will remain cool. If it isn’t, the bowl of water will stay cold and the utensil will be hot. Very neat, I thought.