Mssv

Mssv random header image

How to get from Oxford to London

February 22nd, 2005 · 130 Comments

or more accurately, COACH WARS: Oxford Espress vs. Oxford Tube

For the past half year, I’ve been commuting back and forth from Oxford to London every week (not every day, though). In that time I’ve been able to make a thorough appraisal of the best way to make the journey.

Oxford is approximately 56 miles from London and according to my roadmap, it should take about 1:15 to make the journey by car. On the other hand, a train takes about 55 minutes and, in theory, is less variable. Both of these times are rather optimistic estimates. The car time assumes that you encounter little to no traffic, while the train time doesn’t factor in commuting times to the station or the not infrequent delays on the rail service.

It wouldn’t really be worth me writing about the value of taking a car instead of the train or vice versa because firstly, I don’t drive, and secondly, they’re such different forms of transport that I don’t think anything I say would really matter to anyone. Some people are rail travellers and some are drivers; the two groups are separated more by ideology than reason, much like Apple and Windows users.

However, Oxford is an anomaly among cities near London in that it has not one but two highly frequent coach services that run 24 hours a day. These coaches offer a real alternative to both car and train by virtue of being right in the middle of the two; they are reasonably quick, cheap, regular and make multiple stops in the centre of both cities. The only problem is that the two services are, on the surface, almost identical. Or are they? Frequent commuters will know how important it is to pick a good service early on in order to get season ticket savings, so here’s a guide to which service is best.

The Basics

Oxford is an anomaly for another reason. The two coaches are run by two bus companies – the Oxford Bus Company and Stagecoach. Both companies operate full and near identical local services in Oxford, with near identical pricing. The advantage of this is that Oxford has a very pervasive and frequent public transport system for such a small city. The disadvantage is that the two companies obviously do not take each others tickets and their route numbers are different, meaning customers often become confused. I don’t use local buses much but I haven’t been able to discern any real difference between the two companies.

The Oxford Espress, aside from having a horrible name, is run by the Oxford Bus Company. The coaches are normal single-deckers, whereas Stagecoach’s Oxford Tube service uses custom-made double-decker coaches.

Cost

You can find out the fare prices for both services from the links above. At the time of writing, on both services a single from Oxford to London (and vice versa) costs £10, while a return costs £12. There are discounts for concessions and students, and unsurprisingly, these are identically priced as well.

In fact, all the prices are identical. Occasionally one service might introduce a new fare, as the Oxford Tube did with its cut-price ‘Nightrider’ which offers discount return travel after 3pm, but within weeks the other service will copy the entire idea, right down to the name; the Oxford Espress isn’t fooling anybody with its ‘Night Owl’ service.

Result: Draw

Route

Both services start at Gloucester Green bus station in Oxford and end at Victoria. They make near identical stops in Oxford and they also stop at Hillingdon (a tube station 30 minutes out from Victoria) but the similarities end there.

The Oxford Tube tends to make more stops in general. About 30 minutes out from Oxford, it stops at a place in the middle of nowhere called Lewknor Turn. It’s a dark little lay-by that presumably serves people living in nearby villages. In London, the coach stops at Shepherd’s Bush, Notting Hill Gate, Marble Arch before getting to Victoria. The more perceptive of you will realise this can involve an awful lot of traffic in rush hour.

The Oxford Espress shuns Lewknor Turn and instead of diving straight into London, it takes the flyover and goes directly to Baker Street. This saves a little on the traffic.

Clearly there’s not much to distinguish the services in terms of routes, and your choice will no doubt be influenced by the stops in London and how close they are to where you want to go. For my part, I always go to Victoria so it makes no difference to me.

Result: Draw

Speed

This is where it gets interesting. Since the Oxford Tube is a double-decker coach and generally attracts more passengers, it takes longer to load up and disembark at every stop. Furthermore, I find that its route, especially the Lewknor Turn stop, lengthens any given journey by approximately 10 to 20 minutes depending on the time of day.

The Oxford Espress’ route, with two fewer stops, combined with its smaller capacity, mean that it definitely wins on terms of speed. The quickest journey I’ve had from Oxford to London has been on the Espress and it took 1:15, while the Tube took slightly longer. In rush hour, both services can take up to 2:30.

Result: Espress wins

Frequency

Both services run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. From Monday to Saturday they both run approximately every 10-15 minutes during the daytime and every 20 minutes in the early morning and late evening.

However, it’s at night when the differences emerge. The Oxford Tube runs coaches every 30 minutes during the wee hours from 2am to 4am on most days, while the Oxford Espress only manages a coach every hour. Both services run every hour from 4am to 6am or so. For most people this difference is really not an issue but if you go for any nights out in London, then the difference between waiting 30 minutes and an hour is very significant.

Result: Tube wins

Reliability

In my experience, the Oxford Espress is slightly more reliable in terms of its coaches being spaced out evenly in time. This is probably due to the fact that it doesn’t take as long to load or have as many passengers. In terms of coaches breaking down, anecdotal reports indicate that the Tube suffers more, but that might be down to response bias. Still, I could well believe it since the Tube’s double-decker behemoths, though they may be brand new and well maintained, are inevitably more prone to breakdown than standard-issue single-deckers.

Result: Espress wins

Chances of getting a seat

Not the best of titles, but important nonetheless. Since the Espress, for some reason, has proportionately fewer passengers I find it easier to get a seat on board. I have never seen a full Espress coach while I often see full Tube coaches. This is very important for those people who place a high value on having two seats to themselves.

Result: Espress wins

Comfort

For a long time, the Espress won this competition hands down by offering air-condition and power sockets where the Tube didn’t. With its recent fleet upgrade, the Tube now also offers air conditioning and power sockets for every two seats. All seats on both services recline (not a good thing in my opinion, I hate getting seats in my face).

While I haven’t actually measured the seating space (although I may do in the future), I am pretty sure that the Espress has about one or two inches more legroom. It also has leather headrests and the general state of cleanliness is higher. This is no doubt due in part to the higher passenger numbers on the Tube.

Result: Espress wins

Other passengers

Closely related to comfort are the type of passengers that travel on the services. Now you may think I’m being ridiculously picky and offensive by even including this section but no-one would choose to sit on a coach for two hours surrounded by noisy teenagers when they want to get some sleep if they could sit on a quieter coach.

Put basically, the Oxford Tube has every type of passenger, from tourists to students to workers. Generally people are well behaved although I have found that the Tube is occasionally host to people blasting out music or talking very loudly – in the night – for the entire journey.

The Tube’s passengers also span the full range in terms of how often the use the Tube. Some of them use it regularly and so don’t have to ask the driver about stops or fares and can whiz past using their fare cards. Others are less experienced and take longer. This contributes to longer boarding times.

In contrast, the Oxford Espress attracts what I would call ‘professional passengers’. I don’t mean that they they’re all workers – indeed, while the Espress is skewed more towards workers it’s still frequented by students and some tourists – I mean that they tend to know what they are doing. Either they’re regular passengers and know the stops and the fares, or they’re savvy tourists and they’ve taken the time to find these things out beforehand. This results in a quicker boarding process and makes for a profoundly peaceful journey.

Result: Espress wins

TOTAL: ESPRESS 5, TUBE 1

The Oxford Espress is definitely better than the Tube, in terms of speed, comfort, reliability and general experience. That doesn’t mean that the Tube is particularly bad, it’s just not as good. The Tube may still be better for you in terms of its stops but for most I would recommend the Espress.

The interesting question behind all of this is why, despite the Espress’ superiority, the Tube attracts more passengers. The simple answer is that the Tube has superior marketing and branding. It has a memorable name and colours and is generally more well known among the public. When people start using the Tube, it’s ‘good enough’ and so they don’t bother trying the Espress because they think it’s less frequent or more expensive (that’s what happened to me, anyway).

The reason the Espress hasn’t gone out of business is because it has built up a loyal following due to its quality. I have a few friends who won’t take the Tube any more and I suspect the same is true for many commuters. My advice to the Oxford Bus Company is to change the Espress’ name into something you can say aloud without feeling stupid, and to improve their branding and marketing. I don’t have any advice for the Tube aside from running more frequent coaches because it’s hard to see how they can change their demographic without changing their coach fleet again, and that’s not going to happen for some time now. I suppose they might want to consider missing off the Lewknor Turn stop.

Tags: london · oxford · review · travel

130 responses so far ↓

• bec // Nov 24, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Would have to agree. I’m an Espress customer, and find the service to be faster and more efficient, although the turnoff to London Marylebone Rd is becoming more congested as we move closer to Christmas. Best time to catch the Espress, for those of you who need to get into work at a decent time, is 545am. You will get in by 715am to 730am – making it faster than those that leave at 620am and get you in by 9am.

A final review point would have been to discuss heating – i’ve found the only grizzle I have with the Espress is that its heaters aren’t powerful enough to get to the back of the bus – i’ve had to wrap up, shivering on several occasions!

• George Candelin // Dec 31, 2006 at 8:54 pm

As an infrequent traveller to London I feel I should point out that Tube has another advantage.

Those of us living outside the city can buy a return ticket to London via the Tube when boarding from our local bus-stop, rather than having to buy a return ticket to Oxford from one company and then a further return ticket to London from another. This advantage also works for the Airport Express.

I will stay with the convenience of one ticket from Stagecoach and leave COMS to do the local stuff.

• Charl // Jan 5, 2007 at 7:10 pm

I tend to agree with this analysis; I commuted to London from Oxford every day for seven years on the Espress (yes it is a horrible name). I often need to get off at Baker St as well which makes the Espress a necessity; but I used the Tube last year, so I have exerience of both. Completely agree with the ‘professional passengers’ comment. The Tube for whatever reason does attract more yobs (perhaps because they can sit upstairs out of sight of the driver) and I’ve often noticed people smoking upstairs.

George above is wrong on one count though; the Oxford Bus Company allow you to buy a London ticket on the Espress on their local buses as well.

• Felix // Jan 6, 2007 at 1:36 am

I personally disagree. The wi-fi on the Tube does it for me. I also find the green colour of the espress’s interior maes it feel smaller. The Espress looks fab on the outside but dated on the inside.
    Also the view from the upper deck on the tube is a plus.
    In the end for me, i need to get off at Shepheard’s Bush, so there’s no comparison. Although i can give Lewknor a miss any day.
    As regards the people, i’m inclined to agree.

• Mark // Jan 28, 2007 at 5:09 pm

I would agree with the above conclusion. I have used these two services on and off for over a decade. The Oxford Tube provided unquestionably the best service about a decade ago under Thames Transit (decently padded seats, fierce pricing, friendly drivers etc). Currently, I find the coaches uncomfortable, and reliability is an issue. In summary, it’s clear to the customer that Stagecoach is concerned with lowering costs as far as possible. The service feels ‘cheap’.

One thing that hasn’t been noted here, however, is that the Oxford Tube uses low floor vehicles.

• Okay // Feb 18, 2007 at 8:52 pm

Between 5:40 and 7:00 on weekdays all departures from Oxford serve breakfast with free fruit juice, bacon sandwich/pastry and A newspaper. The breakfast is so yummy. Stagecoach had A battle with the council to get the tubes in service and when the oxford tubes were being refurbished megabuses came back for A time with I’m an oxford tube(temporarily)on them. Also if there’s diversions due to roadworks in Sandhills, A boat race in London, Live 8, A concert they always use olympians, brookes buses and once even A 27 branded trident. The 7:20 X30 normally uses A tube and very rarely uses anything else

Oxford tube wins by A lot

• Okay // Feb 18, 2007 at 8:54 pm

PS the oxford tube runs on christmas day via Heathrow

• neilos // Feb 20, 2007 at 11:56 pm

i will be commuting between oxford and london next year. does anyone know if the journey time between hillingdon (in ox) and notting hill gate will be any shorter? also will the fact that i am BACKWARD commuting (i.e. living in london and commuting to oxford) make much difference?

• neilos // Feb 21, 2007 at 12:09 am

sorry thats headington in ox – not hillingdon!!!

• Okay // Feb 23, 2007 at 7:33 pm

The oxford tube gives breakfast of fruit juice, newspaper, bacon roll, crossiant and pastry on early Mon-Fri morning journeys from Oxford. The majority of drivers let 3 kids travel free on Oxford tube(Sun-Fri)most of the time but sometimes on Sun-Fri only let 2 kids travel free. Daytime journeys to Oxford do not go into Thornhill Park and ride and just stop at Sandhills and when oxford tubes were refurbished in 2005 Megabuses came back with I’m an Oxford tube(temporarily)on the window. They replaced the oxford tube that operated 31/x31 early mornings when 3 oxford tubes went away at any 1 time. Now the X31 has been renumbered X30 an oxford tubes operates that. It no longer happens on 31 in early morning now the X31 has been cancelled. On Live 8 olympians were used and had oxford tube duplicate written on the panel. Tube 40 was back for 1 day but then was found to still have A problem so it went back to the garage for 2 months. It spent 1 day back on the oxford tube then went away to somewhere else. On the day of the London boat race 2 olympians were used. During the roadworks at Sandhills brookes bus tridents appeared on 2 occasions and when there was A concert in London 2 brookes bus tridents plus 1 27A/B/C branded trident ran empty to London and brought passengers from the concert. Stagecoach had A long battle with the council for the oxford tubes to run and the oxford tube runs via Heathrow on christmas day. Oxford tubes are allowed through Queen’s St while on the X30

• ian // Feb 28, 2007 at 11:19 pm

neilos, the main difference is that you will not recieve the complimentary breakfast on the reverse commute. i believe that the journey should be quicker as you will noe be stuck in the commuter belt along westway, however i have not tested this.

also, ignore what everyone else says, the espress is rubbish. the oxford tube IS more spacious, more comfortable, more modern, and gives free wireless internet which is INVALUABLE for making journeys fly by. the espress does not have intercity train style tables downstairs, or infinite-leg-room-with-fantastic-view front row top floor seats. the espress reminds me of a run-down old school bus.

also, your season pass will give you free travel on all stagecoach services throughout oxford.

• neilos // Mar 3, 2007 at 8:05 pm

cheers ian – do you think that i am only going as far as headington (i.e. not into the middle of ox) plus only getting on at notting hill gate as opposed to victoria shave a significant time off the journey?

• Okay // Mar 6, 2007 at 8:53 pm

PS only once, and most unusually the X30 in early morning was operated by A 27A/B/C branded trident

• David // Mar 22, 2007 at 11:00 pm

useful and informative website, thank you.

• Mrs P // Mar 30, 2007 at 6:08 pm

Commute advice greatly appreciated? My husband and I are totally torn. Our ideal life choice would be to move the family from London to Oxford, but we’re paralysed into making a decision because we fear the commute it too long.
    He would be commuting from Summertown to Shepherds Bush. Realistically how long would this take and Is the commute worth the move ??

• Newbee // May 22, 2007 at 8:15 pm

I am now commuting to London on a daily basis, I am tempted to use the coach as it is much cheaper than rail.
    I would like to know what is the lastest time for boarding the oxford express at Thornhill while without getting trapped in the traffic jams in London?

• Okay // Jun 18, 2007 at 8:31 pm

route X90 has had some coaches from the airline added due to the new coaches on Airline. These coaches show coach stopping. The Oxford tube doesn’t go into Thornhill Park and ride on the way to Oxford daytimes and stops at Sandhills which makes it A quicker journey from there-Oxford but it goes via Beautiful Lewknor and stops at St Aldate’s on the way to Oxford. I don’t know which is better now. Mrs P, You would have to catch the 17 from Summertown-George St then walk to Gloucester Green and catch the oxford tube to shepherd’s pie. The whole journey will be an 1 hour and 21 minutes. The new espress coaches and airline coaches are nothing like run down school buses.

• Okay // Jun 18, 2007 at 8:36 pm

on 10th Dec last year the connection at St Aldate’s or Queen’s La between X4 and oxford tube was lost becauses the X4 doesnt run weekends anymore and when it does it run it runs to Castle St via Speedwell St and Old Greyfriars St but passengers can use the reintroduced X13.

• Okay // Jun 22, 2007 at 3:11 pm

on Eve/Sun you would have to catch any bus between Summertown shops and magdalen st east then walk to Gloucester Green or walk to Lathbury Rd and catch the 17A/C to George St and walk.

• Okay // Jun 22, 2007 at 3:13 pm

from 1st April 2007 the 6:00 oxford tube stopped serving Lewknor Turn.

• Okay // Jun 22, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Routes X70, X80, X90 and oxford tube serve Thornhill park and ride now. The X90 calls at Victoria Coach Stn, London Victoria, Marble Arch, Baker St, Hillingdon,Thornhill park and ride, Green Rd, Headington shops, Gipsy La, St Clement’s, Queen’s La and Gloucester Green with returns calling at St Aldate’s except Eve/Sun when coaches can serve Queen’s St. The oxford tube calls at London Victoria, Marble Arch, Shepherd’s Pie, Beautiful Lewknor, Hillingdon, Thornhill park and ride, Green Rd, Headington shops, Gipsy La, St Clement’s, Queen’s La, St Aldate’s, New Rd and Gloucester Green with returns stopping at Speedwell St as well except Eve/Sun when coaches can use Queen St. The New pxford tubes have to drop off in George St then loop via George St, Magdalen St, Magdalen St east, Broad St and George St to Gloucester Green. The Oxford tube has continued it’s wi-fi but the breakfasts between 6:00 and 8:00 were moved to between 5:40 and 7:00 which is horrible because you have to wake up earlier than you use to. I just go to Harveys now which is better than the breakfasts cos I go for lunch and dinner and they do so much better things than oxford tube breakfasts. The X90 are also offering A throught ticket to Wimbledon because of tennis with London General which Stagecoach cant do. The oxford tubes give tables and more space unlike X90 but Im glad that they dont use other vehicles for X90 and oxford tube anymore and espress coaches have A model unlike the oxford tube. Espress coaches never operate local buses except 1ce and they often work the X70/X80 but the oxford tubes only work the X30 early weekday mornings in 1 direction and they no longer work the U1/U5. the X90 hasn’t seen other buses since the football match between Arsenal and London. There was 1 other time when there was A concert but the oxford tube has seen other buses lots more times. They are both good in different ways everyone and that’s that

• Okay // Jul 2, 2007 at 6:58 pm

the X90 has only seen 1 other vehicle 2 times and never gets additional buses loaned. Also it has 3 of it’s vehicles loaned to Birmingham coach company and it had airline coaches will waiting for the new coaches and it’s coaches have only worked other bus routes 1ce. Oh well, that’s 1 of the bad things about X90

• Okay // Jul 9, 2007 at 7:14 pm

during A boat race in 2000/2001 the X90 had 2 coaches from other companys were used on X90. They don’t have the boat race anymore.

• Okay // Jul 10, 2007 at 5:06 pm

london events
    during these london events the diversions were as follows:
    14th-17th Jun(22:00-23:00)Hyde Park calling-X90s were going past Marble Arch and gloucester place without stopping but the oxford tube said it was able to stop. On 23rd and 24th between 22:00 and 23:00 there was A musical festival-X90s were going past Marble Arch and Gloucester Pl without stopping. They also just decided to go straight past Victoria without stopping at short notice. Oxford tube said they were able to stop. On the 30th the X90 was diverting via Shepherd’s Pie and Notting Hill gate in the morning. On 7th July the X90 was diverted between 7:00 and 21:00 but the oxford tube from 6:00 to 16:00 on sun. The X90 was diverting via Shepherd’s Pie, Kensington St and Knightbridge and the oxford tube via Kensingston St and Knightsbridge.
    Oxford tube is better except for the last 1

• Okay // Jul 10, 2007 at 5:09 pm

on New Year’s Eve there were those drunk Brazillians who had the drinks taken off them at Thornhill park and ride but then they were swearing at A woman and said 1p to show their bottoms. At Lewknor they got sent off and when the driver made an announcement they shouted for the drinks. The other driver of another oxford tube had to help.

• Okay // Jul 10, 2007 at 5:11 pm

1ce during roadworks on High St there was an X90 coming in via iffley rd, donnington bridge rd, weirs la, abingdon rd and st aldate’s when it should have gone via Headley way, cherwell dr, marston ferry rd, banbury rd, st gile’s, magdalen st east, broad st and george st

• Okay // Jul 10, 2007 at 5:18 pm

During the road works at sandhills the oxford tube was diverting via Stadhampton, Wheatley, Horspath, eastern bypass, Horspath driftway, The Slade and Windmill Rd and the X70/X80/X90 were not going into Thornhill and stopping at sandhills if neccessary but if neccessary they went via Stadhampton, Wheatley, Horspath, Eastern bypass, Horspath driftway, The Slade and Windmill Rd. Passengers from the X90 were able to use their ticket on the 8 which doesn’t serve Thornhill park and ride and was being diverted to turn round at green rd or they had to go to blockbuster video and catch the 400 which doesn’t stop at green rd except on Suns or the 8A which doesn’t serve thornhill park and ride. From the oxford tube passengers were able to catch the U1 which doesn’t serve thornhill park and ride or the 7 which doesn’t serve thornhill park and ride and was turning round at green rd. The best option was to catch the X70/x80/x90 but they don’t let U get off at green rd and thornhill park and ride plus they were being delayed because of the roadworks and the roadworks in high st

• Okay // Jul 10, 2007 at 5:25 pm

during the 7/7 london bombings following 9/11 all the traffic was stopped after 3 bombs were on underground trains and 1 happened when all underground passengers were using the buses which were being diverted. In the afternoon the companies took all the people out of london and took luggage. They also took national express tickets for birmingham and let them go to oxford rail stn to catch A train to birmingham. on the 29th june what happened was the X90 was diverted via Knightsbridge, Notting Hill gate, Shepherd’s pie and the ring rd. If they were full they didn’t go past london victoria and there was also an accident on M25 diverting it via Heathrow. Oxford tube was diverting via Knightsbridge and Ring Rd and was affected in the same way by accident on M25

• Okay // Jul 10, 2007 at 8:59 pm

During A no war march in London the X90 was diverting via Shepherd’s Pie, Notting Hill gate and Knightsbridge but the oxford tubes were turning short at notting hill gate with 1 journey an hour through to London Victoria. This resulted in A no. of oxford tubes arriving early at gloucester green causing problems to the normal services and an X38 had to park backwards in 1 of those bays. The X90 wins cause it was not turning short but the oxford tube was turning short with 1 journey an hour along the normal route.

• Okay // Jul 14, 2007 at 9:09 pm

my brother gets travel sick on oxford tube cause we have to sit upstairs sometimes cause there is less space downstairs, there are more yobs and smokers and more people eating cause of the tables and it runs via Lewknor Turn

• Okay // Jul 15, 2007 at 11:09 am

sorry that’s Hillingdon not Beautiful Lewknor

• Okay // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Oxford tube has 3 London expresses which run via A40 rather than Hillingdon and rather than Beautiful Lewknor, Shepherd’s Pie and Notting Hill gate it runs via M25 or Hayes by-pass and M4. The 6:00 started calling at Hillingdon but it now runs via A40 not Hillingdon and they changed the display to London express in A bus to Marble Arch&Victoria and it is all in big letters in A straight line. Oxford tube wins. They no longer have the 9;35 in the other direction which does the same except it runs in the other direction. Oxford tube wins

• Okay // Jul 27, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Both services are better than 1st Great Western’s train services which are really unreliable and they have been critiscised.

Also those tourists are all over the place and making all buses leave Gloucester Green, and those with seats at Queen’s La, fully loaded and the same with the train.

• stephan // Oct 29, 2007 at 10:21 am

thanks, adrian
    good review!
    Oxford Espress has now wi-fi/internet.
    They now don’t run between 2:30 and 6:30 AM from London. They lose on the frequency issue, but win on almost everything else.

• stephan // Oct 29, 2007 at 10:22 am

Viva la competition!

• Okay // Nov 30, 2007 at 3:43 pm

It’s nice to have wi-fi on the X90 and it’s the 1st time in 3 months since someone’s made A comment, stephan

• linz // Dec 3, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Thinking of going to London for New Years Eve fireworks with husband and teenage daughter. Any advice? Where’s the best place to get the bus back to Oxford? Is Tube or Espress best for NYE.

• okay // Dec 10, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Both are just as good for New Year’s Eve with both routes running to special timetable

• chakde // Dec 13, 2007 at 12:35 am

I’m hoping to travel to Marble Arch leaving from Thornhill this Friday. I need to be in Marble Arch by 9am, what is the latest bus time I should take from Thornhill???

• Okay // Dec 31, 2007 at 9:55 pm

O, at about 7:00

• Bobnis14 // Jan 15, 2008 at 11:33 am

Can anyone tell me the approximate journey time from Lewknor to Victoria ? I need to be in the City by 08:00am

• nicnewman // Jan 29, 2008 at 10:58 am

As a regular commuter to Brussels, at least once or twice a month, I wish that there was a direct bus from Oxford to Eurostar’s St. Pancras terminal. As there is there is no information for potential tourists wishing to go to St.Pancras from Oxford or vice a versa. Not even any through ticketing If you need information on haw to reach the Eurostar trains from Oxford see http://www.oxfordprospect.co.uk/GettingtoOxford.htm

• McFlurryco // Feb 1, 2008 at 4:44 pm

It takes 1 hour and A bit Lewknor-London and there should be A service to/from St Pancras on 1 of them.

The megabus, anyone know anything about it?

• Hayim // Feb 6, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Anyone using oxford espress… If i aimed at getting the bus that leaves victoria at half 6 from Baker Street, would i be able to find seats? and would i be able to make it to Oxford at 9?? also how much does it take for the bus to get to Baker Street from victoria around that time??

thanks!!!

• McFlurryco // Feb 25, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Yes, u would and you would be able to get into Oxford at 9.

• Valentas // Mar 7, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I am a foreigner here and I can’t stop wondering to see such redundantly frequent coach services. It appears to me that except of the evening and morning hours most of these huge coaches go almost empty one after another, especially between Oxford and London. It seems to be a great waste of resources & misusing environment in order to make life of a few people absolutely comfortable. Of course, using cars are in general more harmful than using buses, but 1 car with 2 passengers is definitely more effective than 1 double decker coach with 2 passengers!

• Okay // Mar 22, 2008 at 7:28 pm

I agree that the coaches should be less frequent except in morning and evening rush hours if they’re going to have huge coaches with 2 passengers otherwise it would be better to use the car.

• m.potter // Jun 4, 2008 at 4:44 am

we have to be at victoria bus station by 2a.m what time oxford tube., would there be at hillingdon station id like to know night times thanx

• McFlurryco // Jun 12, 2008 at 3:17 pm

M. Potter, On Mon-Fri there’s an Oxford Tube from Hillingdon station at 1:00am that gets you to Victoria Bus Stn for 1:40am, On Sat-Sun there’s an Oxford Tube from Hillingdon station at 1:03am that gets you to Victoria Bus Stn for 1:40am,

• richard // Jul 1, 2008 at 8:58 am

I need to commute from oxford to Bethnal green for two days a week next year. Does anybody know what time I would need to leave Oxford in order to get to Bethnal green for 8:15 ?

• Ben // Jul 18, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Shortly going to be commuting Oxford-London. the office is about 10 min walk from Victoria. What time do I need to be on the bus to be certain of making it in for 9? And am I right in thinking the Espress might be a bit quicker?

• Alex // Jul 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm

To make Victoria for certain by 9, you would need to leave Gloucester Green by 6.20, Sanhdills 6.40.

I do Sandhills to Baker Street on the Espress daily and the 7.15 from Sandhills gets to Baker Street at 9, Victoria at 9.20 though it can be longer.

• Okay // Aug 3, 2008 at 10:02 am

Richard, you need to leave Oxford at 6:00 to get to Bethnal Green for 8:15.

Ben, to make it in for 9:00 you nead to leave Oxford at 7:00. No, the espress isn’t slightly quicker.

• Neil // Oct 16, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Has anyone got off at Hillingdon to get the tube into central London instead of staying on the bus – is it quicker/slower or even worth trying. I know that at certain times there will be very heavy traffic coming through west London that might be avoided by getting off at Hillingdon. Maybe the coach driver should say if they know there will be long delays beyond Hillingdon in case we want to get off.

• McFlurryco // Oct 21, 2008 at 7:16 pm

It’s worth trying, Neil and it probably will be quicker if there’s heavy traffic coming through West London.

• David // Oct 27, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I’m toying with a move to a job in the city & am exploying the commuting practicalities… any help/feedback greatly appreciated! I currently live a stones throw away from Thornhill P&R in Oxford, so it makes more sense for me to catch the London Coaches. I will possibly be based nr Waterloo in the City. Which Coach service would offer me a better service? I was thinking of Oxford Tube to Marble Arch, walk or tube to Bond Street, then Jubilee Line down to Waterloo… any other ideas?? What kind of time would i need to catch a coach from Thornhill to get into Waterloo for 8.30am to 9.00am?

Thanks,
    David.

• deejay // Nov 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm

i planing to go to london in the 2 of dicember just in one day by train and i really need in formation about every thing how long im gonna take from oxford to london were the train stops in there how i move from defernt places do i use the underground? im not sure i dont know how is the traveling and how is london with my self

• Alex // Nov 23, 2008 at 8:16 pm

The Oxford Tube stops at Lewknor Turn because of a grant (subsidy) from Oxfordshire County Council.

• mcflurryco // Jan 17, 2009 at 4:15 pm

David-there’s an Oxford tube from Thornhill at 6:22(Mon-Fri), 6:47(Sat) and 6:55(Sun)

Deejay-the train takes an hour and stops at Paddington.

Alex-Yes your right, it does stop at Lewknor Turn ’cause of A grant from Oxfordshire County Council.

• teresa // Jan 31, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Hi, I found this piece very interesting to read! Wondering if you can help me Im planning to get a train next week leaving from Kings cross station at 8am. So i will need to get a coach to victoria from oxford and possible walk/taxi it to station. But what time would you say i would need to get coach to london? Would there be lots of traffic around 5.40am?? or is that time too early?

• mcflurryco // Feb 25, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Teresa, there won’t be lots of traffic around 5:40am so you can catch the 5:40 coach or the 6:00.

• david // May 20, 2009 at 9:46 pm

ok, i need some help if you can give me some that would be great, i am in oxford, oxfordshire, i just move hear from canada. i am going to baker street station in london and i would like to know whats the best way of going and how long it would be abd what buses i need to take, thank you for your time and i hope you can help me out.

• mcflurryco // Jun 2, 2009 at 8:20 pm

To get to Baker St in London you would need to catch the X90. If your late at night ‘n’ it’s not the right time for the X90 catch the OT to Marble Arch ‘n’ walk from there to Baker St. It will take you between 33 minutes and 1 hour and 47 minutes to get to Baker St.

• Ashish // Jun 3, 2009 at 9:51 am

I will be visiting Abingdon in june and I would like to visit London on my visit to UK. I am completely new to this system and also don’t know places over there much. Could anyone guide me as at which time it will be convinient to move in weekend and get back to Abingdon after complete London city tour. I would prefer a less rush and a peaceful journey. Also cost wise which will be better BUS or Train (if they go). Thanks in advance

• McFlurryco // Jun 9, 2009 at 4:45 pm

A good time to go to London is in the early morning(before 7:00) on A Sat or Sun and in the middle of the day on Sun. Bus is better cost wise.

• Malcolm // Jun 23, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Does anyone know if the 6am Tube, which claims to be a faster service as it omits two stops, is any quicker than the standard service?

Also, is the 6am coach very busy and will I get a seat?

• ex arriva employee // Jul 1, 2009 at 9:46 am

I think that both operators need to do the decent thing and both provide a combinded service with interchangable ticketing because both services may not be sustanable and go bust so there will be no service at all

• McFlurryco // Sep 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Malcolm, the 6am is quicker than the standard service and it’s very busy but you will get A seat as long as you go from A stop before Thornhill Park and Ride.

Ex Arriva employee, A combined service with interchangeable tickets May be introduced soon due to Transform Oxford and it might be A good idea.

• SHK // Oct 21, 2009 at 12:04 am

Wow. This post and all the replies were really helpful. I need to get to Marble Arch on a Friday morning between 8:30~9:00. I figure from the above that 6:00 Tube is a safe choice. Maybe could 6:24 Tube (being a “express” service) also work, or should I absolutely go for the 6:00 Tube? Thanks.

• VTM // Nov 8, 2009 at 11:16 pm

has anyone taken the S3 bus from Gloucester Green after arriving from London on the Tube or Espress? planning to visit Blenheim Palace and back in one day, is this practical??? would appreciate info and advice—thank you

• Fate // Nov 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I will be in London for one night on the 18th (from Asia) and will need to go to Oxford on the 19th (flexible schedule). I have not booked hotel in London yet as I’m trying to find out which hotel/B&B is just steps away from the bus stop because I am travelling with a full-sized suitcase, can’t afford a long walk from hotel to bus stop. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what will be the best hotel/B&B choice for me? Either Espress or Tube is fine with me. Also, I will need to go to Heathrow from Oxford on the 22nd. Can I buy a period return ticket for London-Oxford-Heathrow instead of buying two single tickets for London-Oxford and Oxford-Heathrow? Any advice will be very much appreciated!

• mcflurryco // Nov 25, 2009 at 6:57 pm

SHK, if you need to get to Marble Arch between 8:30 and 9:00 the 6:24 would be O.K. because it’s an express.

VTM, yes I’ve taken the S3 from Gloucester Green after arriving from London on the Tube or Espress and yes it’s practical so yes, you should visit Blenheim Palace and back in 1 day.

Fate, Thistle Marble Arch would be A good day for you since it’s near the Marble Arch bus stop for the X90/Oxford Tube. No, you can’t buy A period return from London-Oxford-Heathrow you will have to buy 2 single tickets.

• newbie // Apr 27, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hi, I need to commute thornhill to victoria and arrive by 8.30? What time do I need to get the bus?
    Would it be quicker to get it from lewknor? If so what time? Thanks

• mcflurryco // May 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

There is an X90 from Thornhill at 6:30 that gets you to Victoria at 8:15 on Mon-Fri and on Sats and Suns there is an X90 from Thornhill at 6:45 that gets you to Victoria at 8:05. There is an Oxford Tube from Thornhill at 6:34 that gets you to Victoria at 8:28 on Mon-Fri, on Sat there is an Oxford Tube from Thornhill at 7:07 that gets you to Victoria at 8:22 and on Sun there is an Oxford Tube from Thornhill at 6:55 that gets you to Victoria at 8:12. It probably would be quicker to get it from Lewknor only if you lived near there-if your nearer to Thornhill you should go from Thornhill and if your nearer to Lewknor you should go from Lewknor but you can only catch the Oxford Tube there.

• New Member // May 31, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Hello,

I have just been offered a job in Hillingdon. I currently live in Oxford, and am trying to decide whether to move to London, and commute on the tube, or whether to stay in Oxford, and take the bus from the Thornhill to Hillingdon.

I will need to be at work by 8ish each day… could you give me an idea of a ‘usual’ journey time from Oxford to Hillingdon?

Thanks very much!

• mcflurryco // Jun 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

The usual journey time from Oxford to Hillingdon is about 1 hour depending on what time of day. It probably is best to stay in Oxford and commute to London rather than moving there.

• Zuleika1987 // Jun 7, 2010 at 7:28 pm

As one who boards the bus in Lewknor, I find that inconvenient little stop in the middle of nowhere invaluable. So, for me, the Tube wins :-)

• mcflurryco // Jun 14, 2010 at 7:35 pm

It’s valuable to some people and it stops there because of A grant or something.

• New commuter // Aug 1, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Please help me! I’m going to be commuting from Headington (Oxford) to Baker Street (London). I need to get in to Baker Street by 9.10am. What time(s) can I get the Oxford Espress from Headington? And how tiring do other people find this daily commute?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! :)

• mcflurryco // Aug 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm

If you want to get into Baker St by 9.10am it’s best to catch the Oxford Espress from Headington at 7:28 if your going from Brookes Uni, 7:30 if going from Headington Shops or 7:32 if going from Green Rd Rdbt. The daily commute isn’t normally too tiring and the seats are very comfortable on the Oxford Espress

• yasmine // Aug 21, 2010 at 12:06 pm

i need to reach st pancras eurostar terminal at 08:30, wk day . what time shall i leave oxford-thornhill park & ride to get there in time. is there any direct bus ti st pancras anywhere in oxford.

• New commuter // Aug 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Thank you so much mcflurryco. That is really helpful! :)

• Kirstie // Oct 10, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Zuleika1987 – I will be getting the Tube from Lewknor to Notting Hill for work from the 18th. I’ll need to be there for 9/9:15 as I have to be at work for 9:30 and it’s a 10 minute walk from the station at Notting Hill.

What time should I leave? I will be doing a “dummy run” this week but can you give an advice?

Thanks very much!

• mcflurryco // Nov 12, 2010 at 5:44 pm

yasmine, there are no direct busses from oxford to st pancras, you would be best catching the oxford tube at 6:32 from thornhill or the X90 at 6:15

kirstie, you should catch the coach at lewknor at 7:47 or 7:59.

• Anne // Feb 13, 2011 at 9:25 am

Sorry to ask for yet more times on here but how long would you allow to get from Queen’s Lane to Baker Street on the X90 during rush hour? I need to be there by about 9.15 and have no idea how long to allow, would be grateful for any advice.

• mcflurryco // Feb 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

7:25 from Queen’s La will get you to Baker St for 9:05, so it takes 1 hour and 40 mins.

• Ces // Apr 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’m moving o Oxford (Cowley) in May but will continue to work in London (by Tottenham Court Road). Have wanted to live in Oxford for ages, and the plan was to find work there once I had settled in. As it happens, my circumstances have changed and I have been offered a really god job in London (also by TCR) that I’d be stupid to turn down. I work Mon-Fri (and some Saturdays), and my shifts are as follows, 8am-5pm – 9am-6pm, 10am-7pm and the occasional (that may become more frequent in the future) 10am-10.30pm. What time would I have to leave Oxford to be at work on time for the above shifts? Is the commute doable long term? I could get either the Tube (Marble Arch) or the Express, but I guess the Express is slightly quicker as I would get off in Baker st? What are the chances of getting a seat in the morning? Realistically, how long are journey times St Clements-Marble Arch / St Clements-Baker st during rush hour?

Would be so very grateful for advice!

• neo1 // Apr 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I have a job in Waterloo near upper ground, and live in Oxford so can catch the bus from Thornhill, what time would I need to leave thornhill so I get to my job by 8.45am?

Also at which stop should I get off and get the tube?

Also would anyone recommend travelling this everyday or should I be looking for a flat in London (I have lived in Oxford all my life)?

Any help would be appreciated.

• McFlurryco // Apr 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

On the X90 to get to work for 8am at 6:21 from St Clement’s, which takes 1 hour and 34 minutes to Baker St, to get to work for 9am, you can catch the 7:06 from St Clement’s which takes 1hour and 39 mins to Baker St and to get to work for 10am you can catch the 8:06 which takes 1 hour and 39 mins to Baker St. On the Oxford Tube, to get into work for 8am, you can catch the 6:07 from St Clement’s which takes 1 hour and 49 mins to get to Marble Arch, to get into work for 9am you can catch the 6:55 from St Clement’s which takes 2 hours to get to Marble Arch and to get into work for 10am you can catch the 7:57 from St Clement’s which takes 2 hours and 1 min to get to Marble Arch. You probably can get A seat at St Clement’s at that time and the commute is doable long term.

• Tom p // Apr 22, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Looking to start work at 9am at London Bridge from mid -july getting on the espress at Gypsy lane or St. Clems, would a 7am bus give enough time to get there? Never travelled by coach, during the job interview process I always caught trains but there over priced in my opinion,,

Any help would be great

thanks

• mcflurryco // Apr 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Neo1, you should leave Thornhill at 6:45 and get off at Baker St if on the X90 and Shepherd’s Bush on the Oxford Tube. The X90 will be better as Baker St is on A direct Underground line to Waterloo. You can live in Oxford if you want or get A flat in London.

• neo1 // May 1, 2011 at 10:45 pm

thanks for the info. i will have to give it a trial

• bluey // May 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Interested in typical journey times Lewknor to London – since I get on the Central line this would either be Shepherds Bush or Notting Hill -NOT- all the way to Voctoria. Would typically leave between 08.30 and 09.30. Which is the easier underground interchange, Shepherds Bush or Notting Hill ??

• Parkzy // May 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Hi, I have to get to the US Embassy near Marble Arch for about 08:15 on a Friday morning. Which service/time would you suggest I take from Thornhill ?
    Thanks in advance.

• Luci // May 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Hi there,

I work in Uxbridge and am planning to commute there from Oxford from September. If I was to take the espress from the Headington area to Hillingdon (and then travel 1 stop on the tube to Uxbridge), what time do you think I should take it to be in for 9:00?

• McFlurryco // Jun 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Bluey, A typical journey from Lewknor to Shepherd’s Bush or Notting Hill Gate, between 8:30 and 9:30 will be about 1 hour and 9 mins to Shepherd’s Bush or 1 hour and 16 mins to Notting Hill Gate. It would depend where your going whether you get off at Shepherd’s Bush or Notting Hill Gate.

Parkzy, you would need to get the 6:22 Oxford Tube or the 6:30 X90 from Thornhill to get you to the US Embassy for about 8:15 on A Fri morning.

Luci, you would need to take the Espress from the Headington area between 7:48 and 7:52, depending where you get on at, to be at Uxbridge for 9:00.

• s_quebz // Jun 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Hi there,

i have been offered a new job, which will require me to commute from birmingham to london mon-fri starting at 9.30am. I previously worked within walking distance of euston station, so a daily commute via Virgin trains, was ideal, yet extortionate. My new position however, is located at Buckingham Gate, so i am looking to commute to Victoria Station on a daily basis now. With no train going direct from birmingham to victoria, and it not being financially viable to take the car all the way to work and back (plus national express does not seem to be as regular or offer such a competitive fare), driving to oxford and using the oxford espress / oxford tube, in theory sounds ideal, both on a financial and convenience level.

Thus, if i wanted to get to work (which is a short walk from victoria coach station) for 9.30 am what coach time would you best advise to catch from oxford ? …also, seeing as though i shall be driving doen the M40 first, would i be better placed to catch a coach from thornhill park and ride, rather than gloucester green (as that will offer somewhere to park my car too, am i right in concluding that parking here is free on a daily basis too?)

my thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer me, it is very much appreciated =)

kind regards.

• vilma // Jul 22, 2011 at 12:44 pm

can anyone tell me what is the smrtest way of commuting from oxfordshire to london sam??

• mcflurryco // Jul 24, 2011 at 11:08 am

s_quebz, you would need to catch the X90 from Thornhill at 7:15 or the Oxford Tube from Thornhill at 7:10 to get to Buckingham Gate for 9:30. Yes, your best going from Thornhill rather than Gloucester Green because there’s free parking at Thornhill and nowhere to park near Gloucester Green as the center of Oxford is banned for cars.

Vilma, the best way of commuting from Oxford to London is coach.

• oingo // Jul 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Like so many others I’m struggling with whether to move into London or stay in Oxford and commute. Living in Summertown, my options would be to either get myself into Gloucester Green or Queen’s Lane, or drive to Thornhill. At what time would I need to be at either of those stops in order to arrive at Baker Street 08:30 on weekdays? And how realiable are the times, does it vary a lot or is it pretty much the same every day (provided no accidents on the M40, obviously…)?

• oingo // Aug 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Also, how bad is going back from London to Oxford in the early evening, say between 17 and 18? All well and fine to get to work on time, but if one has to spend hours getting back home it’s not much good…

• Alex // Oct 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Not great between 17.00 and 18.00, improves markedly after 18.00

• mcflurryco // Oct 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Oingo, to get to Baker St for 8:30 you need to get the bus at Gloucester Green, Queen’s La or Thornhill at 6:30, 6:35 or 6:45. The times are pretty reliable and pretty much the same every day. Getting back from London to Oxford in the early evening between 17:00 and 18:00 is about 2 hours.

• CL // Oct 22, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Hi,

This is really helpful information as I’m looking to go into London for the weekend from Friday lunch time and leaving London at about 7pm Sunday. I didn’t realise that there were two companies running the same service and was always planning on using the Espress.

I’m planning on parking at Thornhill and assume that they don’t lock any gates there?

I also assume that as I’m not travelling at peak times that getting a seat shouldn’t be a problem?

• Ashley // Oct 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I would like to travel from Oxford city centre or St Clements to Golders Green (northern line underground) on a weekday evening to arrive in Golders Green at 7-7.30 pm. Is it quickest to get off at Hillingdon and take the tube (and/or bus) to Golders Green? Any ideas on journey times?

• Mcflurryco // Nov 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm

CL, no, they don’t lock any gates at Thornhill as there are none and if your not traveling at peak times getting A seat isn’t A problem.

Ashley, it’s probably quicker to get the coach to Marble Arch then take the bus to Golders Green. It takes about 1 hour and 30 mins or so at that time.

• Patty // Dec 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Hi, I am staying at my sister´s house during two months and working every day in london, well at kings hospital and she live in headington. I need to be at work by 9:00 am so i was thinking catching the coach at headington shops, going off and getting the tube at hillingdon, so I need to be at victoria station by 8:30 in the morning.
    I need your help, to know wether is it possible, and if it is quicker to get off at hillingdon and get the tube to victoria than continue in the coach. thanks need a quick answer, please.

• yojimbo // Dec 31, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you very much for all this useful information about the bus links.
    I am thinking about commuting from Oxford to London Bridge next year.
    I would probably be leaving from the St Clements stop and would need to be in the office by 9.30am. Arriving at Paddington or Shepherds Bush by 9am should allow me to do this. I would be interested to know what anyone thinks about which service I would need to catch, if either service might be quicker and any other advice. Thanks.

• yojimbo // Dec 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Sorry I meant Baker st rather than Paddington in that last post. (I have also been considering the train option but the cost difference is very large)

• Alex // Jan 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

Patty, it is almost always better to stay on the coach. The tube stops a lot and although the coach is slow at peak times, for Victoria it makes sense to stay on. To get to Victoria for 9am guaranteed, I would get a 6.40ish from Victoria.
    I have done this route every day for 3 years but now go from 8am to get in for 10am.

• Chris // Jan 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hi

I might be moving to the Oxford area but would like to keep working in London. I currently commute for about an hour and was wondering if anyone please knew how much longer it would take to travel from Headington shops to get to Shepherds Bush by 8.30? Thanks

• Jade // Feb 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’ll be commuting from Shepherds bush to Oxford 1 day a week and need to be in Gloucester Green by 8.30am. what bus and time would i need to catch ti make it on time?

• mcflurryco // Feb 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Chris, it takes about 1 hour and 27 mins to get from Headington Shops-Shepherd’s Bush by 8:30 on Mon-Fri, 1 hour and 3 mins on Sat and 59 mins on Sun.
    Jade, you would need to catch the bus at 6:50 on Mon-Fri and 6:25 on Sat and Sun.

• Emma // Feb 25, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hi, I am a student with a placement in Hampstead, starting at 8 am. I will need to get a coach at headington shops. what coach will I need to get to get into hampstead by 8am? Would be grateful for any advice, as I have not done this before.

Also the placement is for 10 weeks, so is it wise to buy lots of journeys in bulk?

Many thanks in advance

• Jayne // Mar 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

Hi, this is a really useful set of comments – thanks to all.

I need to get to Marble Arch by 845am on a Monday leaving from Thornhill, can anyone advise me which bus its best to catch please? I’m also wondering whether Monday commutes are worse than any other days?

Many thanks

• medotoole // Mar 12, 2012 at 4:37 am

Hi,

What is the best way to get from St. Pancras to Oxford? I will be arriving via the Eurostar and am not sure which coach stop (on either coach line) is the closest to St. Pancras.

Thank you!

• mcflurryco // Mar 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Jayne, you can catch either coach service from Thornhill to Marble Arch and, yes, Mon may be worse than other days. Medotoole, the best way from St Pancras to Oxford is to get the coach at Victoria Station on the X90 or Grosvenor Gardens on the Oxford Tube.

• Bhav // Apr 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hi all
    I need your help…..

I need to be at Victoria for 9am everyday from Hillingdon.
    What time should I get on the bus?

What is the rush hour traffic like and how long is the average journey in rush hours?

Many thanks!!

• Chris // Apr 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Mcflurryco you’ve got really good information on departure/arrival times – do you have a list of them or something? Would you be willing to share it :-) Thanks for all your advice.

• Francois // May 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hi there – lots of good info here. I need to commute to Oxford from London each day and wonder if it is quicker on the ‘reverse commute’? If I need to be at Headington Shops by around 8.30, what time should I leave Baker Street?
    Thanks in a advance.

• mcflurryco // May 22, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Bhav, you should get the X90 at 720 or the Oxford Tube at 714. The average journey time is about 1 hour and 15 mins or so in rush hours. Chris, I get my list of departure/arrival times from Traveline.

• mcflurryco // Jul 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Francois, you can’t get the bus at Baker St to Headington Shops. It probably is quicker on the reverse commute.

• HappyMom // Oct 2, 2012 at 1:22 am

mcflurryco, please could you tell me which bus to take i.e. tube or X90 and at what time, to get to southampton row by 8.30 in the mornings Mon-Fri. I am thinking of getting off at Baker Street or Marble Arch and cycling from there onwards.

Many thanks

• mcflurryco // Oct 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

You could take the X90 to either Baker St or Marble Arch or the Oxford Tube to Marble Arch

• Conor // Oct 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hi,

I could possibly be getting a new job in Oxford near Worchester College. I wanted to move to London to live in the Uxbridge/Harrow area. I think I could get a bus from Hillingdon then and travel outwards (against traffic). What would be the general commute time in and out at 8am and 6pm? Also, I could have access to a car, would it be quicker to drive?

• mcflurryco // Oct 29, 2012 at 6:44 pm

It takes about 1 hour from Hillingdon to Oxford at 8am and 6pm. It would probably be quicker to take the bus as you can’t drive into central Oxford.

• Amy // Feb 19, 2015 at 10:41 am

Hi there, I need to commute everyday from London to Oxford. I am going to be working at john raddcliffe hospital, so I am trying to find a place in London that is commutable to Oxford on the bus route. I need to get to work by 8am. How long does it take to get there and where is the best place to live in london for this journey?

• mcflurrco // Mar 27, 2015 at 11:35 am

It will take about 1 hour if you live in Hillingdon.

• Jennie // Apr 1, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Hi,

I am moving to Oxford in September, and will be commuting to London Bridge for 9am. How long does it take from Oxford or Hillingdon (I havnt decided where to move yet) to Baker Street at rush hour, and would I be likely to get s seat?

Thanks for your help!

Jennie

• mcflurryco // Jun 9, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Hi,

It can take about 1 hour and 45 mins from Oxford to Baker St and 30 mins from Hillingdon to Baker St during rush hour and yes, you would be likely to get A seat.

Your welcome